We’re proud to announce that for our 16th event we teamed up with the most inspirational designers and pattern writers of our industry for spring 2023, April 13th - April 16th, 2023. Sewtopia Alexandria will be structured like our past spring events in Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas. Included in your registration fee, you’ll have the opportunity to take classes taught by extraordinary and influential women from the modern quilting and sewing world at the Hilton Alexandria Old Town located on King's Street which is across the street from the King Street Metro Station and provides easy connections to Washington D.C.
Arounna Khounnoraj of BOOKHOU.
Arounna Khounnoraj is a Canadian artist and maker working in Toronto where she immigrated with her family from Laos at the age of four. While her education includes a master’s degree in fine arts in sculpture and ceramics, it was through subsequent residencies that she found her current focus in fibre arts. In 2002 she started bookhou, a multi-disciplinary studio with her husband John Booth, where Arounna explores screen printing and a variety of textile techniques such as quilt making, embroidery and punch needle. She creates objects such as bags, home goods and textile art. In 2020 she released her second book on Visible Mending and in June 2022 she will be releasing her third book on Embroidery.
Annabel Wrigley is an author, textile designer and modern quilter living in Richmond, Virginia. She loves all things color, her bright and graphic quilt designs combine her love of modern art and design and her obsession with color. She is a co-designer of Ruby + Bee, a 55 piece solid collection with Windham Fabrics with her friend Heather Ross. She has also designed several print collections made up of sweet vintage florals that were so prominent in her childhood. Annabel has also written 5 books for children with C&T publishing, her latest "Sew unicorns, mermaids and Dragons" is the perfect beginner sewing book for kids (and adults) of all ages Prior to her Pandemic move to a new city, She spent the last 11 years teaching children of all ages to master the sewing machine and gain creative confidence. She has also guest-designed a small children's sewing collection for Quilt Cadets and Latifah Saafir. Annabel is currently found teaching on Creativebug and on instagram @littlepincushionstudio
Before coming to the event, Sewtopia works with Windham Fabrics to selected 6 fabrics. A couple months before the event, we send every attendee six fat quarters. Participation is optional and encouraged. The rules of the challenge are simple, you can use one or all the fabrics, just make sure that you only use Windham Fabrics with your creation. When attendees check – they’ll be asked to check in their projects to be eligible for prizes.
The best part of getting together for the weekend is letting us take you to the best fabric and quilt stores in the area. A shop hop is like a pub crawl, only you’re shopping instead of drinking. At the time of registration, we will ask whether you want to have a spot on the bus. The shops will offer special giveaways and sale prices to you as well. Shops will be announced closer to the event.
Sewtopia’s Sewing Lounge will be open Thursday, April 13th from 5pm to midnight. We’ll open the lounge again in the morning for classes. We will leave it open and close each night at midnight. Attendees will be contacted prior to the event regarding seating. We’ll ask who you’d like to sit by and assign seats.
Here’s the general format that an attendee should expect if they’re attending Sewtopia Alexandria:
For classes we will split the ballroom into 3 sections. Teachers will teach Friday and Saturday. Twenty (20+) attendees in the morning session, we’ll break for lunch for one (1) hour. After lunch, the first two sessions that were in class will be in open sew while the third session will be in class. We will open all walls for evening sewing at 5pm to midnight. The next day, the ballroom will split again into 3 session. Teachers will swap sections and teach in the morning again and we’ll repeat the schedule from the day before. On Sunday, the Sewing Lounge will be in open sew until noon.
If you’re bringing a machine or items don’t worry about carrying them back to your room -- we’ll lock up every night for you. This time is yours to finish up class projects and other sewing projects.
General notions will be provided. Irons, cutting mats, rotary cutters, and thread.
In 2018, Sewtopia re-opened our online shop. We continue to update it with new Sewtopia merchandise, notions, and fabrics. We’re bring the show on the road and will be in the Sewing Lounge with new fabrics from Cloud 9, Ruby Star Society, Alexander Henry, Windham, and Robert Kaufman.
Sewtopia will do one official secret swap that attendees can participate in. This is a blind swap, meaning we will not assign you a partner. We ask that that you bring your swap item WRAPPED to the event at check-in and Sewtopia will distribute swap gifts Friday night to open Saturday morning before class. If you bring an item to swap you get one back.
- If you’re on Instagram, please use this hashtag so others can cheer you on and support your creative process.
- Money limit is $15, don’t break the bank!
- Bring your swap item wrapped and labeled to Sewtopia when you check in.
- Make sure there’s something saying who it’s from like a label or a slip of paper.
- Smalls category would be anything smaller than a 24×24 pillow or mini, mug rug, pin cushion, something for a sewing area, or a pouch.
- Make something that you love, out of fabrics you adore.
- The folks of Sewtopia will do the secret swap Friday night after the sewing lounge closes. The swap items will be at your sewing station for Saturday morning for you to open.
- Don’t worry if you don’t do the swap. We will hand out swap gifts only to those who participated.
If you have any questions, email me and I’ll collect them all in a FAQs email to everyone.
Hilton Alexandria Old Town
Sewtopia | Alexandria takes place at the Hilton Alexandria Old Town located on King Street in Alexandria's vibrant Old Town.
$169.00 (taxes & fees are not included) | (1) Double Beds
$169.00 (taxes & fees are not included) | (1) King Bed
If you’re flying in, the airport you want is the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport code DCA.
- Where do I park?
- The Hilton Alexandria Old Town has self parking $36.00/day
- What hotels are available for booking? How do I get the Sewtopia discount on my hotel room?
- We’ve setup a discounted room block for our attendees with the hosting hotel for the event. The reservation link will be available a couple weeks after registration and we’ll email everyone that’s attending the link to reserve your hotel room. We ask that you book your hotel room as soon as you can, we’ve sold out on our room block since our Chicago event in 2014.
- What airport should I fly into?
- If you’re flying in, the airport you want is Reagan National Airport (DCA), it’s 15 minutes to the hosting hotel.
- You’re not helping me at all! I have different questions!
- Shoot us an email at [email protected]
- Where is Sewtopia | Alexandria being held?
- The Hilton Alexandria Old Town 1767 King Street Alexandria, Virginia 22314
- Will food be provided? Are there restaurants in the area?
- Lunches will be provided in your full registration fee for Friday and Saturday. You will be on own for dinner. When we chose the location for Sewtopia | Alexandria, we put it in smack in the middle of the Old Town Alexandria, so you won’t have a hard time finding a good place to eat. If you need a suggestion of places to eat, we suggest joining our Facebook group and posting there.